Can I go on campouts with my son?
Boy Scout outings are a chance for boys to interact with their peers in a structured environment.  Proper adult supervision is provided at all BSA outings.  ASMs who supervise the various events generally do not interact with their own sons.  They are trained to encourage the boys to work within their own leadership structure to solve problems.  Scout parents are discouraged from attending campouts so that the boys can keep their peer-based leadership structure intact.  Family Camp in May is your best opportunity to camp with your son.

My son has special needs, can he advance with the rest of his friends?
There are many provisions for physically handicapped or special needs Scouts.  The Boy Scout program encourages the boys to advance at their own individual pace.  Please identify your son’s special needs to the Scoutmaster and he will address these needs within the Troop leadership.

How do I register as an adult leader?
If you are interested in becoming an Assistant Scoutmaster, you first need to talk to the Scoutmaster and discuss how you might fit in to the leadership structure and where your areas of expertise lie. 

If you are interested in joining the Troop Committee, contact the Committee Chairman and discuss what particular skills the Committee is looking for at that time.  All adult application forms are reviewed and processed by the Committee Chairman and Chartered Organization Representative.

Members of the Parent Patrol do not need to fill out an application and pay registration fees.  But Youth Protection Training is highly recommended for everyone.  Contact the Parent Patrol Leader to see where you can help out with various Troop events.

How do I become a Merit Badge Counselor?
Anyone can be a BSA Merit Badge Counselor (MBC).  You do not need to have a boy in Boy Scouts to be a MBC, you just need to have an expertise or show proficiency in teaching one of the more than 120 Merit Badges.  You can learn what Merit Badges are available and their general requirements at www.meritbadge.org .  Specific requirements are found in the various Merit Badge work books.

I have reviewed the list and I don’t see a MBC for Nuclear Science for Troop 451.  My son really wants this Merit Badge.  How can he get this one?
While the Troop has an extensive list of MBCs, there are more than 120 Merit Badges and even more being created every year, we certainly cannot have experts on every topic within the Troop.  The Grand Canyon Council and Mesa District offer various Merit Badge classes or fairs.  Check their websites for more details.  Also, some organizations offer Merit Badge classes. SRP often hosts a Electricity Merit Badge class, and Bass Pro offers Fishing, Archery, and Shooting from time to time.  Your favorite search engine will provide you with a list of additional Merit Badge opportunities.

Can my own son be in my Merit Badge class?
Yes, but he should not be the only one in that class.  Adults are highly discouraged from becoming MBCs for the sole purpose of teaching Merit Badge classes for their own sons.  MBCs should be available to all Scouts in the Troop.

Why aren’t the boys working on Merit Badges at Troop Meetings?
Troop Meetings are generally structured to teach outdoor skills or leadership skills, prepare for upcoming campouts or competitions, or work on Rank Advancement activities.  Sometimes these will coincide with certain requirements that apply toward Merit Badge credit, but very rarely is a Troop Meeting dedicated to a Merit Badge.  Most often there will be a Troop Meeting before and after special events like Snow Weekend, Water Weekend, and Camp Geronimo specifically for preparation or “clean up” of requirements specific to Merit Badges earned during that activity.

What are the requirements for my son to advance to the next rank?
Parents are highly encouraged to read their son’s Scout Handbook.  All of the requirements for each rank are clearly listed in the Scout Handbook.  Also, you can check www.meritbadge.org as an online reference.

Can I sign off on my son’s Rank Advancement milestones?
No, only Patrol Leaders or registered Adult Leaders may sign off on requirements for Scouts other than their own son.

How can I find out how my son is doing in Boy Scouts?
Periodically you will receive an Advancement Report from the Advancements Coordinator.  Please take the time to review this report and discuss it with your son.

If you are looking for information on his social interactions within the Troop, you can request a private conference with the Scoutmaster.  He may assign this conference to an ASM who has more experience in dealing with your son.

Why isn’t my son advancing with the rest of the boys that crossed over with him from Cub Scouts?
Unlike Cub Scouts, where the Dens work on exactly the same activities and all advance as a group, Boy Scouts allows each boy to advance at his own pace.  His own desire to advance will determine the rate at which he advances rank.  Peer pressure often will motivate the boys who initially fall behind.

What are the age limits for Boy Scouts?
Boy Scouts start at age 11, or age 10 if the boy has completed 5th grade or earned his Arrow of Light.  Each Scout has until his 18th birthday to complete all requirements toward the rank of Eagle Scout.  The BSA also has a program called Venturing for boys and girls from age 14 to 21.  You can visit www.scouting.org to learn more about this.  Cub Scouts is the program for boys in 1st through 5th grade.  Visit www.pack451az.org to learn more about our Cub Scout Pack.